As you know, parent and community involvement is an important factor in the success of the students in our schools. The Parent Teacher Association (PTA) helps to facilitate this involvement. The PTA helps to raise money for programs and supplies that our children would not otherwise have available, especially with the recent budget cuts:
▪ Field Trips (in the past, the PTA funded the bus transportation on field trips. Currently, we are being asked to assist with some admission fees for field trips, as well.)
▪ After School Activities such as Kids Club
▪ Safer playground equipment
▪ Library Books
▪ Student Musical Performances
▪ The Arts Fair
▪ Parent Education Forums
▪ Teacher requested items for classroom equipment
The PTA also aims to connect parents to each other and to be a resource for school news. One of our particular goals this year is to keep all families better informed. We will do this by sending home flyers and newsletters, regular postings to our website, and through optional emails. Also, you can send us a friend request on Facebook.
Each year, we are fortunate to have energetic and vibrant volunteers that give their time to enhance and enrich the educational opportunities for our students. But we always need more support. Together we can reach the common goal of having happy, healthy, and successful students at both Mitchell and Shapleigh schools.
Here are ways that you can support the PTA:
▪ Help sponsor the PTA through making a donation. Sponsorship starts as low as $10. This money primarily funds our state and national membership dues ($6 out of the $10), which in turn provides us with necessary insurance for fundraising events like the Dancing with the Kittery Stars. The remaining money (only $4) goes toward PTA programs that benefit students.
▪ Join the PTA and volunteer your energy and talents to help make our fundraisers successful.
▪ Support PTA fundraisers.
We plan fundraising activities yearly such as: Fall Sponsorship Drive, Barnes & Noble Book Fair, Box Tops/Campbell’s Soup Labels, Wear Your School Spirit!
▪ Local businesses often host fundraising events on our behalf such as dinners or jewelry sales